I love Mexican food and Tacos are no exception, they’re a really great way of using up ingredients that are left in your cupboards and fridge making a really delicious meal. In my recipe I have changed a few ingredients up, I’ve used red and white quinoa (which was from ALDI) to add a really healthy twist to these tacos, there’s also an avocado and mango dip which combines my love for both mango salsa and guacamole with the addition of smoked tofu and vegetables as my filling.
You can pretty much use any vegetables you want to, but the ingredients that I have used are the ones I would recommend. You can also add re-fried beans or mexican salad beans (or any kind of bean that you like.) I kept mine fairly simple, but they were equally as delicious and went down really well with everyone I gave them to.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
- 125g diced smoked or normal tofu,
- Oil for frying,
- Half an orange pepper,
- 1 sweet red pepper,
- Half a courgette,
- 4 chestnut mushrooms,
- 2 handfuls of spinach,
- 1 small red onion,
- 2 heaped tablespoons of tomato concentrate mixed in with 220ml of cold water,
- Half a teaspoon of dried coriander,
- Half a teaspoon of mustard powder,
- Half a teaspoon of salt,
- Half a teaspoon of cumin,
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder,
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (this is optional depending if you like spice or not)
FOR THE AVOCADO SALSA/GUACAMOLE:
- 1 ripe avocado,
- 100 grams of mango,
- 50 grams of grated carrot,
- 4 cherry tomatoes,
- Chopped fresh coriander (as much as you want to taste I usually use two tablespoons),
- pinch of salt,
- 1 bulb of crushed garlic.
- red Jalapenos (optional)
- Quinoa or rice, (optional)
- Taco shells,
- Salad to serve.
This meal roughly serves 4 people and roughly takes 30-40 minutes to make.
- Take a small bowl and set it aside. Now halve your avocado, remove the stone and scoop out the insides, using a sharp knife cut the avocado into pieces and then put it in the bowl, you want to half mash the avocado with a back of a fork whilst leaving some pieces in there so it’s slightly chunky but creamy too. Dice your mango and cherry tomatoes into really small cubes, then add it to your avocado bowl and then grate in your carrot mixing well. Next crush or very finely diced your garlic, coriander and if you’re adding red Jalapeno’s dice them up here too, add these into your bowl with a pinch of salt and pop in the fridge.
- Chop your tofu up into small cubes and set aside in a small bowl, then cut up your sweet red pepper, orange pepper, red onion and courgette into small pieces (bare in mind they need to be small enough to fit into your tacos). In a small bowl spoon in all of your spices, garlic and salt then mix well.
- Grab your frying pan and start cooking your tofu on a medium heat. Saute your tofu until all sides are starting to go crispy, then pop in your diced onion and peppers and keep mixing for about 5 minutes so that none of the ingredients stick and burn, add in your courgette and take two teaspoons of your spice mix and sprinkle it over the top of your tofu and vegetables and fry for a further 3-4 minutes mixing in the seasoning.
- If you are using quinoa now would be the time to pop it in the microwave and cook it or pop your tacos in the oven for 5-10 minutes to warm up (follow the instructions on the back of the packet). Add your spinach then pour over your tomato and water mixture and then add in the rest of the seasoning. Mix and cook until all the water has simmered down and you’re left with a thick tomato sauce covering your veges and tofu.
- You’re now ready to create your tacos, at the bottom of each mine I placed the salsa-guacamole, then the quinoa, then my tofu and vegetable mix. I served mine with Salad too.