It wasn’t until I turned vegan that I decided to try tofu. I wish i had as it’s since become one of my favourite things to experiment with. There are many forms of tofu all good for different things. You can use it for so many recipes from eating it by itself to creating delicious cheesecakes.
Before I turned vegan one of my go to easy lunches to make was definitely scrambled eggs it was filling and high protein and healthy! When I started going off of eggs and knew I wanted to be vegan I started looking for an alternative. Tofu is the perfect replacement it is high in protein and quick and easy to make!
I’ve seen scrambled tofu made a few ways but i’m going to share with you my favourite way of making it. Some people will press their tofu, you can do this but I don’t feel the need to with scrambled tofu.
- Roughly 100grams of firm or extra firm tofu (this can usually be found in the fridge section of your supermarket I prefer either cauldron or Tofoo)
- A teaspoon of smoked paprika,
- Olive oil for frying,
- half a teaspoon of asafoetida (this comes in powder form and is found in the herbs and spices section)
- half a teaspoon of mustard powder,
- a teaspoon of dried chives,
- half a teaspoon of marjoram.
- salt and pepper to taste,
- a good handful of spinach,
- table spoon of nutritional yeast, (optional but really recommend)
- a teaspoon of cyder vinegar (optional)
- 15 grams of grated vegan cheese (optional)
- 50 grams of chestnut mushrooms chopped up into small pieces,
- 50 grams of sweet pepper or standard pepper chopped into small pieces.
- Drain the liquid from the tofu packet and take your tofu from the block. on a chopping board or place use a fork and start using it to crumble down the tofu block, it’ll start breaking down and looking a little like scrambled egg.
- In a small bowl mix all of your nutritional yeast, spices and herbs together and put to the side. In a frying pan heat your olive oil over a medium heat then add in your tofu. cook your tofu for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally and allowing to go slightly brown and crispy, add your cyder vinegar if using then add in your peppers and mushrooms and allow to cook for another minute.
- Now shake your bowl of seasoning over the top and add in your spinach and vegan cheese then allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy over a slice of toast, potato waffle, salad or simply enjoy it by itself!